Sunday, November 8, 2009

Outline of a book on Passwords

I have uploaded to my Google site an outline of a book I started to write in 2003 on passwords. At the time I had a few months away from work and I decided to return to some basics in security, and I started with passwords in Windows. I was surprised at how complex, or at least detailed, this topic turned out to be. I was somewhat inspired by also reading Richard Smith’s nice book Authentication: from Passwords to Public keys. You will find many references to his book in my draft.

My draft does have some good references, a list of passwords threats and a nice glossary. Looking at the TOC you get some idea of how much there is to cover.

I am not sure I will get back to completing the book, though I would surely like to. I make regular posts on passwords and they are certainly one of my pet security topics. However time has eluded me (so far) and perhaps you can use the material.

No comments: